There’s lots of disturbing news around at present – and some good news too! Did you know that the Napier Post Office is open every afternoon Mon-Fri from 12 to
With May in sight – apart from the Elections on the 8th (please do cast your vote and if you don’t, please keep your complaints to yourself) there are markets and art routes to keep you busy.
Hermanus Art Stroll – Friday 26th April (last of this season)
5-8.30pm – there are 18 art galleries – including pottery studios – and you can admire, exclaim, even buy amazing artwork – as you stroll along between the galleries you will usually be offered a glass of wine & a snack. Napier’s Frans Mulder has his unforgettable works on show. Before it gets too chilly do include this evening in your plans.
B/Bos market, last Saturday of each month, Sat 27 April. Well worth a visit, it is bulging with interesting stalls from fresh trout, veggies and herbs, to glamorous clothes and all kinds of interesting crafts
At the same time Baardskeerdersbos Art Route 27 & 28 May – 9am-5pm daily. Resident artists (and there are several!) open their studios not only to showcase their work
Car boot sale at Agri grounds, Saturday 4 May 8.30am – 11.30ish. If you have been having a clear-out (books, clothes, small furniture, crockery, CDs, linen & whatever) join the market & bring a chair, umbrella & table with the things you want to sell. Fresh herbs and plants will also be on sale, as well as scrumptious rusks, pancakes, croissants & samoosas – special coffee too! Everyone is welcome
Weekly market at El Gallo in the main road Saturday 9.00am – 2pm – stalls selling fresh veggies, plants & seedlings, cakes, pizzas, hummus, spices, fresh bread, eggs, breakfast & coffee. Enjoy lunch on the stoep with a glass of vino, they are licensed. 082 457 2651
(Call restaurant concerned for Easter openings & specials)
- Pascals – full menu, licensed. Closed Monday. 028 423 3146
- Suntouched Inn – pizza, pasta, ribs; pool table. Closed Tues. 028 423 3131
- Gunners – breakfast, lunch, dinner. Closed Monday. 028 423 3508
- J D Bistro – Open Wed to Sunday. 0796908727 licensed. call Marchand for info and to book.
- The Fox – fish & chips, burgers, craft beer. Closed Mon & Tues. 028 423 3113
- Cafe Max – licensed pub, breakfast, lunch, dinner & takeaways. Bookings advised. Closed Thurs. 071 431 2919
- Napier Farmstall – licensed, breakfast & lunch, frozen takeaway meals. Open 7 days a week 028 423 3440
- Moerse Farmstall – takeaways & a delicious roast on Sundays (take your own wine) R120. 072 592 3693
- The Padloper, 20 Main Road, Riviersonderend – if you feel like a drive & lunch in a lovely garden. 083 387 1977
- Bayleaf Restaurant, Krag Street, lunch or dinner (dates to be advised}. Call Luan 072 132 2716 for more info
- Fragrant Food Cafe, 44 Sarel Cilliers – breakfast & lunch (take own wine), coffee & cake. Call Dee 072 799 2380 for info on specials.
Other catering options:
- Napier Traders, 81 Main Road –Open 9am – 8pm. fish & chips, hot dogs, hamburgers, fresh yellowtail caught daily caught. Call 072 546 3806 to order.
- Meals to U – home cooked meals daily, fresh or frozen, delivered to you. 028 423 3134/ 082 347 4805
- Platteland se Mooi – breakfast, quiches, platters, frozen meals for 1 or 2 persons, freshly-baked breads – Henriette 0662532218
Our area has some wonderful creative folk:
- Frans Mulder, artist, 116 Sarel Cilliers (the Black house) – life size pictures of wild dogs, many of which are shown round the world. 028 423 3004/ 082 418 9701
- Private Gallery, 98 Sarel Cilliers – drop in &have a look at the fine art photography of Herman von Bon 082 712 0273 and the exquisite jewellery of Yvonne de Wet 060 712 4001
- MuddyLane Pottery Studio, 77 Sarel Cilliers – quirky pottery, from door knobs to stompie holders as well as plates, bowls & jugs which make lovely gifts. Madelaine 072 602 1857 for details of Pottery classes – even for beginners!
- Juhléne Möller, fine artist, Klipdale – specialises in mixed media abstracts on paper in ink & photo-sensitive chemicals with figurative images hand-cut from the paper. Call 084 808 1969 for info
For your visitors:
- Guided birding tours in & around Napier. Pick up and return anywhere in the village included. Call Steve 081 817 3223 about specific requirements and costs.
- Habby Shack, 44 Sarel Cilliers – wonderful collection of yarns & fabrics (cotton & natural fibres), full range of haberdashery. Join their knitting or crochet mornings! 082 445 1391
- Foyles Herbs & Plants, 39 Jubileum Street – large variety of plants and herbs in a wonderful garden – great advice included! 028 423 3358
- Toy Dockyard – a wonderful adventure for kids and adults alike. Call Alan Raubenheimer 028 423 3894 to make an appointment.
- Nature’s Voice Health Shop (in B’dorp) is for sale! After 7 wonderful years, the time has come to pass the baton. Looking for like-minded people to continue the health revolution. If you have any interest, please contact Brett on 076 670 2695 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Napier folk are doing wonderful work with the locals
- NADS (Napier Amateur Dramatic Society). Any buttons, beads, old jewellery, felt, fabric or anything that could be used for the craft classes during the holidays call Lindsay 076 721 2449
- The Marah project – almost each week a food parcel is delivered to a family in need. Donations of groceries would be so greatly appreciated. Contact 028 423 3439 if you want your donation collected..
- Bowen Therapist for massive pain relief and body alignment. Carol Kullmanhas recently moved into the village. contact for apptment: 072 230 4174 (ask about Aerial Yoga to blow your mind!)
- Patatfees. Would you like to be involved with the Patatfees this year? It’s great fun and all help will be much appreciated. Call Hilary Mellet 082 596 5681